PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best GPS for GA
Thread: Best GPS for GA
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2011, 15:34
boxmaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbox Sat Nav

I would just like to share with everyone my experience with the Sat Nav I have recently installed in my Calidus Gyroplane, an Airbox Aero Foresight. I deliberated for quite some time while it was awaiting CAA approval before I made the decision. It would have been real easy to go for the soft option and fit a Garmin but the Calidus is so well laid out that putting a “loose Brick on a bracket” somewhere would have spoilt it. Probably not the best criteria for the decision! The unit was fitted prior to delivery, so all I had to do was forget to take the operators manual with me to make life a bit more interesting. I sat in the machine and played around for about 10 minutes and keyed in the route home, took it up to the Mynd on a trailer, did the last hour of my conversion course in my machine and, 80 miles, one hour and ten minutes and five way points later I arrived home. I like the ease of use, as everything is so obvious and the flight logging is such a handy feature. If I had a criticism, it would be the brightness of the screen when the sun is intense, but when I checked for updates for the software that comes with it, (which incidentally is also well thought out and just as simple to use) they have upgraded the screen to a super bright one! I think I’ll just get some thicker, darker sun glasses!. before I purchased the unit I did ring Airbox up to ask about data transfer and I spoke to a real person who put me straight through to a techie and got the answer straight away . During the conversation I learned that the units were used extensively by air ambulance services and in some military installations, which gave me a lot of confidence that I was making the right decision. This was British at its very best. I don’t feel qualified or experienced enough to make a recommendation here, but it has exceeded what I expected and the support was instant and I value that highly, but I would feel very comfortable in saying don’t make a decision until you have had a look at this product.