PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2011, 14:11
A33Zab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@PA 18 151:

If ALT 2 had latched, which appears to be the case, would that prevent a further change to Abnormal Attitude Law?
Clearly NO!
As is advertised: This law ensures that the flight control law will never hinder aicraft recovery, after the recovery (within the abnormal att. values) autotrim becomes available again.

A first unknown factor is time, how long should an exceedance of one of the trigger values be present to engage this law or revert to ALT 2 again.
Didn't find it yet.

@MR O:

presume those conditions for abnormal law are all 'or's'. However, if the a/c already knew that speed was less than necessary for valid AoA would the logic still take the value and change law ?
They are 'OR'.

Yes, but only if not NCD, @ 2:11:40 stall warning sounded, so there must at least 1 valid speed.

The 2nd unknown factor:
AOAsw is generated by highest AOA value while FCPC uses median (3 ADR) or Average(2 ADR) values. 1 ADR was already outvoted.
If average then didn't exceed the 'abnormal' value it would not enter abnormal law.

Could 2 AOA vanes generate such different values?
In this stall condition, "roll oscillations that
sometimes reached 40 degrees" and disturbed airflow airflow around fuselage I don't know.

The question was why didn't THS followed SS ND command.
The only 2 reasons this could be justified are the sort term ND orders or entering Abnormal Law.

I agree that enhancements have still to be made, several are already introduced before or currently in design.
- 'BUSS' - however only to be used FL <250. (because UAS above FL250 is considered transient)
- AOA valid at CAS > 30 Kts (i.s.o. 60 Knots)
- Pitot tubes (change of supplier)
- Experiments with combined AOA/Pitot vanes.
- QRH
- Training UAS, use of GS.
- CRM / TEM

If crew demand is an AOA indicator and/or THS whooler it should be provided asap.
Other demands e.g. change of law philosophy, protections, RH PFD indication on FDR will require a lot more R&D.

Last edited by A33Zab; 8th Jul 2011 at 14:42.