PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2011, 09:18
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Speed input

BOAC
Your line "The FCPC gets ADR & IR information to The FCPC gets ADR & IR information to compensate for speed.." makes me again 'board the train' and ask exactly what ADR info the FCPC gets.to 'compensate for speed.'
Long time ago i asked a similar question and got no definite respose, therfore let me jump in again here.

When a pilot operates the stick in an aircraft where flight control deflection is not influenced by computers, he will do it by training and habit dependent on the aerodynamic state (TAS) of the aircraft. Going fast, small inputs and small onset rates, slower speeds greater input and maybe faster onset rates. In the F4 in approach configuration and speed the stick could be jerked around without causing any flightpath change, if you did it fast enough. At high mach we needed to be very sensitive with control input not do over g or even get an accellerated stall. The artificial feel produced by a separate pitot system and some weight (bellows and bobweight) helped us with that.

That said i´m not in the clear, on what data the FBW system is doing its job in that area, changing the output to the flightcontrols in relation to different TAS. As there is no artificial feel on the stick, there must be an implemented computer logic to modulate the input to the system to get the correct amount of deflection onset and total deflection in different TAS regimes. Where does this speed value come from or is the system using a logic not depending on speed?