PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2011, 09:05
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rrat
How would it know where the C of G was with a full plane load of passengers doing the Conga from the front to the back
- we are talking datums, sir. If it don't know that, you are 'dead in the water' as they say.

Anyway, I'd like to move this thread back to a piloting perspective if you would all be patient?

This is what I understand (*? inserted where I am not sure, ? is a normal query). I refer to the point at which the Captain is roused from his bunk and re-enters the flight deck, and my puzzle lies with the fact that for the next *?3 minutes *? the attitude and flight profile of the a/c remains effectively *?unchanged*?

Let's start with the assumption that he arrives on the f/d with a possible sensory awareness of a climb and speed reduction. He *?sees a low or non-existent airspeed indication across the panels*? He *?sees 3 pitch attitudes of 15 degrees*?. He *? sees altimeters at 350 and a VS of 10,000fpm down*? He sees *?TOGA*?. He is otherwise 'untainted' by the excursion of the a/c in the preceding minutes. Why *?does he not recognise it is stalled*?. Does he? Is he then thrown completely off track by the resumption of the stall warning as 'recovery' begins to take effect (throttles to idle etc)? If so, does the *?rapidly unwinding altimeter and VS reading*? not prompt some further attempts?

There are many puzzles in this accident, this is another. NB I hope you all notice that 'software' and 'AB' are excluded from the above.