PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2011, 07:14
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VFR: The chaps from Agusta, for the most part, were always (according to my recollections) super friendly and thoroughly enjoyable to be with. When I would trawl the Farnborough chalets as a youngster with the Colonel there were two groups of people I made a beeline for; the chefs (for obvious reasons) and the test pilots, because surprisingly, spending most of the time discussing performance-related 'shop' with existing and prospective clients they seemed to find it refreshing to humour a young boy's whimsical curiosity. "But why can't a helicopter go upside down" followed by the test pilot's cackle and something like "well, in fact, they can". Most of all do I remember the Agusta pilots handing-over their precious model helicopters, much to the consternation of the sales staff who had them carefully preserved for specific clients and which objection was met with [in broad Italian accent] "But hees child, beea nice anda let heem enjoy. De customer he have already airacrafta - why need modela?" Regarding Luciano, Col. Bob knew him pretty well and I met him a number of times.

Nigel: Farnborough '64, would love to have seen your display! The best I can come up with is the footage (below) from '66 with Wessex fleetingly visible at 0:34 & 1:57.

Cigarette Copters ..

The Lord Dulverton (Michael Hamilton Wills) of Batsford Park, Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire (discussed previously in this thread) and the former owner of JetRangers G-AZAG and G-BAKS; was closely associated with Imperial Tobaccos who, through various channels were behind the sponsorship of a number of helicopters (and other aircraft) in the early 80's:

G-BBBM sporting Rothmans in 1980 at Biggin Hill

G-AYTF (the Dancer) wearing the John Player livery during the early 80's (DK at Elstree)

Noel Edmonds (through his manager) secured sponsorship from Philip Morris (owned by Imperial) until such time as Edmonds' association with cigarettes was no longer deemed tenable. (I think the complaints started rolling in from day one in fact - children's TV presenter promoting cigarettes etc.).

There may be more 'Cigarette Copters' out there and, if so, please do chip in.