PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OzRunways 2.whoa!
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2011, 05:55
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Just completed around Eighteen hours flying with Ozrunways over the last Ten days. Comments for what they are worth below:

1. Beg borrow or steal an iPad and buy Ozrunways, don't leave home or fly without it.

2. Get a 3G iPad, with the Naips program you can get your weather and file your flight plan if necessary anywhere you have Telstra 3G access - even half way between Arkaroola and Maree at Five thousand feet.

3. Ozrunways needs a few tweeks to be even better, most of these I expect are already noted.

a) Multiple route segments and user defined waypoints.

b) The ability to plan a route from some place other than where you are now. Together with the multi segment feature, this allows you to do the "what if?" planning stuff on the ground. If you could also add a notional TAS and winds, then you have the guts of a flight plan; then I could leave my E6B in its bag.

c) In the aircraft, a few Ozrunways features need a "confirm" button, starting with the red "cancel" button on the "direct to" feature", handing your iPad to a passenger who fumbles it a little means you have to set up again.

d) similarly that night visibility button needs to be highlighted when in night mode so that you can easily undo it in broad daylight when said passenger fumbles with the screen.

e) It would be nice if the VTC, VNC, ERC's etc defaulted to the one your aircraft is on, I know you should know which map you are on, but it saves time, I think.

f) Range rings around the aircraft at Five, Ten, Fifteen and Twenty nautical miles might be nice - of 5, 10, 15 minutes?

4. The ERSA being available at the touch of the screen is simply wonderful, end of story. The ERC's take the sting out of finding when to change area frequencies.

To sum up, just a great Application, simply magic, makes even a duffer like me look good when you can say "estimate overhead in Twelve".

5. Don't bother going to Marree unless you absolutely have to.