PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2011, 03:36
before landing check list

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They even have "FBW" instead of throttle linkages on some race motorcycles. Why you may ask? So they can eek out a few less milliseconds on the throttle response time. EMIT, I agree if the aircraft did everything the pilots asked of it and if the pilots were not asking the correct questions then shame on them. However I still do not fully appreciate the fact that in essence every time you try to make a input you are asking a computer permission and depending on it's programming you may or may not get what you are asking for. Granted you do have to make the correct inputs, that is where YOUR experience comes into play. It is up to you as the pilot what kind of experience you can bring to the table and what kind of experience the bean counters are willing to pay for. Now we are back to front wheel drive cars made for mediocre driving skills.

Personally I do not mind FBW at all as long as it (the wire) is going through a control tube

I did have the opportunity of jump seating on a A320 (when you could do such a thing) and when we were at FL I asked what would happen if we lost all electrics, I mean ALL. I got a look like I was a kid asking what if a wing fell off. After a bit the captain said something about the FO opening a door to the RAT and then they would spend the rest of the fuel load trying to get a computer on line so they could land it. Yes, it is not unstable like a F16 (Neither is a dart or an arrow) but really what is the real purpose of FBW? I mean we have had fully coupled auto pilots for quite a while and they operated servos and worked just fine. Are we really saving a bit of weight so we can get another 10 passengers on board? Are we trying to reduce response time of a few milliseconds? They are even doing this to freakin helicopters, why? I do not think the benefits out weigh the negatives, but this is just me.

Do you want to be a board member so if the company fails the blame can be passed around or do you want to be a pilot where you(the crew) are fully responsible for the outcome of the flight?

Maybe I am getting old.

Last edited by before landing check list; 8th Jul 2011 at 05:05.