PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2011, 22:58
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DJ77;
Then, there is perhaps a (remote) possibility that a PNF could suspect inadequate pitch inputs by the PF by noticing from the corner of an eye the trimwheel moving in an unexpected way. This is probably irrelevant, however, in a tight situation.
Re your first statement, in a word, yes, I think it is possible to put together a THS wheel rolling aft out of the corner of one's eye while observing the pitch increase and the inappropriately high vertical speed but it requires a calm eye in the face of the unfamiliar and a habit of not focussing on the same thing as the other crew member. I think there's more than that: Listening to that "sixth sense" would be part of it... the fact that the air noise begins to go a LOT quieter when the pitch is still high, one begins to slowly, gently feel lighter in the seat and one can begin to actually hear the engines, as well as paying attention to whatever it is in one's belly that says things aren't good. But I think your second statement applies as well.