PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Globalisation debt & banking
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2011, 22:07
DutchRoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When asked whether Mr. Holdren's thoughts on population control have changed over the years, his staff gave The Washington Times a statement that said, "This material is from a three-decade-old, three-author college textbook. Dr. Holdren addressed this issue during his confirmation when he said he does not believe that determining optimal population is a proper role of government. Dr. Holdren is not and never has been an advocate for policies of forced sterilization."
The White House also passed along a statement from the Ehrlichs that said, in part, "anybody who actually wants to know what we and/or Professor Holdren believe and recommend about these matters would presumably read some of the dozens of publications that we and he separately have produced in more recent times, rather than going back a third of a century to find some formulations in an encyclopedic textbook where description can be misrepresented as endorsement."
Courtesy, Washington Times, Jul 2009.

I'm not sure where you get the information that Holdren hasn't backed away from these views or ever really endorsed them in the first place, BB. If you ignore the predominantly conspiracy-orientated blogs which keep harping on about the 1977 article, the only information I can find on it anywhere post-1977 directly contradicts that allegation.

No, I don't think you're a raving lunatic BB. "Fascist" is a pretty strong word which describes a highly extremist/radical type of political belief which is relatively uncommon in democratic countries (and even many non-democratic ones), but I think it, together with its companion word "nazi" (I know they're not the same thing), gets thrown around with a little too much gay abandon sometimes.

The political and economic wheel goes round and round while we do our best to survive within it, but we're not heading for true fascism any time soon. As I said, I'm no fan of Joyce and the way he does things (I can think of many not very flattering words to describe him), nor am I a fan of some types of big business and the way they operate, but again.....fascism? I don't think so!

One thing I could believe however, is that we're entering a new era of people thinking there is a global conspiracy round every corner. Maybe it's something in the drinking water.