PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will I ever get a break?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2011, 21:48
Wildpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read all of this thread and find it stunning that adult who holds a professional qualification cannot figure out how to approach someone or at least make a positive impression.

When I finished training I was on a plane to Africa after many phone calls that gave me the impression that there was a small chance if I turned up. I was training on a C206 within four weeks of my cpl flight test.

This is not to say that you just have to go to Africa it is more about your people skills over the phone and then face to face. I Have found so far that your qualifications are just that, bits of paper that mean legally you could fly but nothing else.

I guess I am lucky I am a confident person when it comes to meeting people and pretty good at reading body language and between the lines. One trick if you like I used is to speak to a chief pilot who would want guys with more hours than you have and explain very briefly that you are aware of this, however if he/she has five minutes could he outline the sort of pilot he wants in the future and does he know anyone who would consider you at this stage so you can get the experience to work for him later on.

Most CP's are tired of newbies asking for jobs when there is no chance, so sometimes this comes across as quite refreshing just asking for there advice. You can then once the ice is broken ask about ramp, office support roles and also ask if he would mind if you kept in contact with updated cv's etc.

Its hard for me to put into words but it is all about your people skills and reading the other person. I turned up in Australia as the market was crashing, I had about 1000hrs as did thousands of other pilots. I was told at the local airport that there was no chance of work anywhere as the market was on its knees. I had a part time air taxi job three weeks later, how, well I looked at the owners website, read his profile and made a few assumptions. At that time I did not have a multi IR so I sold that fact to him, I knew he would have had many pilots come and go with dreams of airliners in the future. So in my email I explained I did not have any interest in the airlines and infact enjoyed SEP VFR work so if he needed a pilot who did not just want to use the company as a stepping stone I was free, he called two days later.

So its time for you to set yourself apart from the others, it has worked for me and I'm now happy flying Cessna Caravan amphibian, probably the greatest flying job I will ever get.

May the force be with you and I hope I made some sense, you are a brand now go and sell it.