PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2011, 20:29
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are we 100% certain that the F-35C will ever be produced? These are extracts of what has been said regarding this aircraft along with exact quotes by Defence Secretary Robert Gates, I have done the underlining as I feel it highly relevant.:

But he said the Marine Corps variant of the plane, which offers short takeoff and vertical landing (STOVL) capabilities, was put on a two-year "probation," and could be canceled if Lockheed was unable to fix significant test problems.

Originally Posted by Defense Secretary Robert Gates
"If we cannot fix this variant during this time frame and get it back on track in terms of performance, cost and schedule, then I believe it should be canceled,"
Originally Posted by Not_a_boffin
As for maintenance, the Ark / Eagle debate of the 70s is past. No-one will take a 280m ship into Guzz, endex. However, QE will not fit (length, wl beam or overall beam) into any lock in Pompey, so any docking will need to take place in either Rosyth or if we're desperate Mr Harlands facility in Belfast.
Excellent point and I have no idea of the size of the docks at Devonport. I note what you say about the 280 plus metre length and yes that right angle hand brake turn might well be a problem but is it a deal breaker? I am NOT disagreeing with you and am aware that Eagle did thump a rock as she approached Devils Point (It made the ground on the Hoe tremor) Would the modern warships have bow thrusters and perish the thought podded propulsion units

I was surprised to see these new carriers are not as wide as our older specimens

Boffin,
Do you believe the UK would fit the EMALS system before seeing it on any warship? I agree with what you are saying about the huge problems that would be involved in trying to install a steam catapult system after the ship has been built but how far advanced is the building of the first ship and have the boilers been fitted? I ask this because at flying stations both, or all boiler rooms will work in harmony to ensure steam pressure does not fluctuate. (Commander Air tends to loose all sense of humour if safety valves lift)

As an aside I must confess to watching Select Committee meetings as they are the only places where Ministers are compelled to answer questions that have been asked.. woe betide them if they try to tell woopsies as they just get recalled and asked to have another go at answering the relevant question. Hence my posting of what has been said since the SDSR.

I think our major problem regarding these carriers is actually Oliver Letwin MP... He is in the Cabinet Office and only wants these ships built to keep dockyard mateys employed.

He and his other cronies believes Foreign Aid is a far better investment than 'Fighting Aid' or defence of the realm. He is someone that believes that giving Somalia aid will stop them from committing acts of piracy on the high seas and we can all see how that is playing out. Plus of course someone should remind him of what happened when the United States tried helping those folks!

We desperately need the likes of Dr Julian Lewis MP to be promoted and maybe then we might get more sense out of our ministers regarding the future of the Royal Navy.