PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2011, 20:19
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BOAC
- no you may not since you do not understand the significance of the word 'lock'. I'm not sure whether that is a language problem or if you fly the a/c but do not understand it properly (as fantom said in his now 'disappeared' post). In English 'lock' means to secure something so that it CANNOT EASILY BE MOVED - as in the Airbus.
That may indeed be a language problem being not a native speaker although I generally do understand what 'Locked' means.

However I did not take it literally as 'locked' in that paragraph, more along the lines the THS being at +8° (e.g. due to Auto Trim deactivated, so unless manually moved it will simply stay there but not being mechanically arrested in any way).
Bear in mind Airbus is a Company with a lot of French influence/origin, thus English documents may deviate slightly from the original French ones from time to time. My feeling is you might be over- interpreting something in their Language.
Do we have any indication that there is a possibility to literally lock the THS (in the sense you took it) ?

Last edited by henra; 7th Jul 2011 at 20:48. Reason: clarification added