PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2011, 16:52
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Backwards PLT,
I understand what you are saying and common sense would dictate the first carrier should be the one that gets converted. However I am merely the messenger repeating answers given during questioning of the Minister for Defence Equipment, Support and Technology by Dr Julian Lewis MP.

Originally Posted by Peter Luff (Minister)
No decision has yet been made as to which ship will be converted for cat-and-trap or whether both ships should be converted
Dr Julian Lewis then asked if the second carrier would be sold:

This was unlikely and that a more likely option was that the second ship would be placed into extended readiness. Each ship will require major maintenance every six years, including dry docking which would take about 36 weeks. In addition, the operational vessel will require up to 12 weeks of maintenance per year
With regard to where maintenance work will be carried out, Mr Luff said:

This could be Portsmouth, Roysth, elsewhere in the UK or possibly overseas
I'm glad he gave a clear answer on that one.. I guess we can rule out the Moon!

I was always told that because of tidal conditions the old Ark Royal and HMS Eagle were Guzz based ships because of their size and the angled flight deck made them unsuitable for Pompey?? A refit up in Roysth would be hugely popular with most English based sailors and what if Scotland hopefully wins that referendum for independence?

Finally

I expect up to three years of additional design and modification work on the carriers to address the changes needed to install catapults and arrester gear.
Please note the use of the plural wording 'carriers' as opposed to the singular.

All these questions were asked by Dr Julian Lewis MP who used to be the shadow Defence Minister for the Royal Navy.

Note that very craftily worded answer about the selling of the second carrier...

"This was unlikely"

There is talk about using some type of electro-magnetic catapult system and could that possibly be an easier conversion as opposed to a major redesign of the whole boiler room set-up and all the plumbing from the fire to the roof-top!

I agree with your points but this is what the Defence Minister has said at his latest grilling and to me is just like the perfect storm except this is more like the perfect 'male appendage vertical'