PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2011, 13:55
RWA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jcjeant:-

the plane going in direct law ... no more auto trim ... and also few seconds before crash he was in alternate law .... but with the gear down (no more auto trim)
They never actuated manualy (as in the AF447 case) the trim ... they forget it ...
No need to shout, mate.........

We seem to have a continuing misunderstanding. I'm not saying that there was no 'pilot error' involved - in fact I've said several times that, IMO, it was almost certainly one of the factors involved.

All that I'm asking is HOW and WHY the automatic systems could possibly have put the THS to the full up position, and KEPT it there, in two separate all-killed accidents - one where the pilot was applying only nosedown inputs, and the other where the pilot began by commanding noseup but ended up also commanding nosedown?

Given that the BEA, in the Perpignan report, confirmed that the THS being at, and remaining at, 'full up' made it impossible for the pilot to control the aeroplane (i.e. get the nose down):-

"The aeroplane rapidly regained speed under the dual effect of the increase in thrust and the pitch-down attitude. Under the combined effect of the thrust increase , the increasing speed and the horizontal stabilizer still at the pitch-up stop, the aeroplane was subject to pitch-up moment that the Captain could not manage to counter, even with the sidestick at the nose-down stop."