PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Incident.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2011, 11:08
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting - completely different philosophies. I *never* climb at Vx unless there is definitely an obstacle clearance problem - that's very rare. Vy (IMHO) offers plenty of margin for control, and engine cooling is (rarely) an issue over the first few thousand feet, and I'd not consider that 'slow flight' (e.g. the typical PA28, Vs -50, Vy -79). Notwithstanding avoiding the crosswind leg, I regard getting to 1000-1500 ASAP after leaving the ground as something of a priority, but I do normally bring the prop and MP back from takeoff to 25/25 passing 500. I'm also a believer in lowering the nose periodically in the climb to clear the view.

Maxred - I don't think we're in disagreement, definitely not 'at odds' but when you say things like 'so basic' I feel compelled to point out that I think you're oversimplifying I understand that works by the numbers for the 'average' pa28 (say), Presumably in your aforementioned yak that can be at 2000 by the numbers somewhere with a longish runway you're modifying the approach substantially different to avoid turning at 500ft half way down the runway - if you get my point? 'Turn not below 500ft at point x' would make sense to me, but I never did get 'turn at 500ft.' - it doesn't define anything useful, it's merely co-incidental that in certain cases 500ft roughly co-incides with where you want to be making the turn. Tad pedantic perhaps