PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transferring Data from an old 32-bit to 64-bit New Computer
Old 7th Jul 2011, 10:43
Warmtoast

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Transferring Data from an old 32-bit to 64-bit New Computer

I’ve got a new computer on order c/w Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium to replace an older computer that uses Windows 7 32-bit software as the operating system software.

I want to transfer my existing programs, applications and data from the old computer to the new one and wonder whether I should use Acronis True Image to do this (I make regular backups of my hard disks with Acronis True Image).

The only problem is that if I transfer all my backup data from the old to the new computer I assume Windows 7 32-bit will try to overwrite Windows 7 64-bit on the new computer, probably not advisable!

Any suggestions as to the best way to transfer just my programs, applications and data e.g. MS Office, Acrobat etc. etc without having to reinstall every single program all over again.
When I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 I used Microsoft’s Easy Transfer wizard using a special USB to USB cable to transfer my data from one disk to another, but it was so long-winded what with having to re-install all my programs and apps that I want to know if there is now an easier way to do this?

Any advice gratefully appreciated – thanks.