PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PVRs started.....
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2011, 09:23
BEagle

Received 278 Likes on 113 Posts
"No bucks = no Buck Rogers!" - memorable quote from The Right Stuff which seems somewhat appropriate.

I was once told that, many years ago, the Luftwaffe suffered an aircrew 'work to rule' for some reason or other. All very gentlemanly, but the day started with the aircrew reading every single order book and manual which they'd had to sign for. The external check of the aeroplane would be utterly meticulous and no corners were cut - same with the pre-flight checks, start up etc. As a result, the flying programme was soon in chaos..... No-one had been 'unprofessional' or refused to carry out any duties - whatever they were complaining about was rapidly sorted out!

Be careful of this 'turn off the phone' idea though - unless you're on leave. We used to hold 3 hours readiness at times; actually this meant 61 minutes as if we'd had to hold 60 minutes, it would have been a much greater embuggerance for all. Most understood this, but we had an Air Eng who insisted that he wouldn't respond in 61 minutes. So he was told that either he did so - or he could spend his readiness periods in the Sgt's Mess rather than at home. Another was called one morning and told that there was an urgent operational need for another jet to be on state - to which he responded "In that case, I've just had a pint of beer".

I'm rambling (again), but the moral is that if the RAF expects willing, flexible behaviour from its aircrew, cutting their pay and forcing them to stay in because they've asked to leave (after so many trainees have been sacked prematurely) is hardly likely to achieve that.