PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 7th Jul 2011, 07:40
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sp
BOAC has a problem
- phew - someone to talk to......

Yes, in essence a good summary, but it is missing 'level 4'. The result of our acquiescing to 'level 3' leads to the age old question of who 'supervises the supervisors', does it not? We 'learn' to live with a complex system we do not really understand - where are the 'long-stops' on this? Particularly in aviation, we surely need to ensure that this complex and almost unfathomable sequence of bits and bytes and failure modes etc etc is 'fit for purpose', at least for the time being, until we have truly automated systems.

That takes us to level 4, where AI rules. Therein is a dark pit. Let's hope beta testing of level 4 is VERY thorough.

The article says - far more eloquently than I can -
"how to make our ignorance an opportunity for continual learning and adjustment.
This necessary evolution does not demand radical changes in human behaviour and institutions, but the opposite: a courageous realisation that the condition we are always trying to escape - of ignorance and disagreement about the consequences of our actions - is in fact the source of the imagination and agility necessary to act wisely in the Level 3 world.”

which I my crude way was a call for a major review of the way we teach it -
a courageous realisation.