PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Pilots needed for Cranfield Research Study
Old 7th Jul 2011, 06:59
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
(For future reference, to get a thread back to the top of the page, just post a reply to it).

I also was glad to help Grant, a very interesting and worthwhile study - and I hope that he'll post a link to the dissertation once it's complete. I was discussing it after I'd finished with our organisation Chief Pilot afterwards (who doesn't fly anything with less than 4 gas turbine engines so is of little use to Grant), who was quite horrified at some of the stuff Grant seems to be learning. I think that this study, circulated widely enough, is going to perhaps make a useful difference to flight safety.

Regarding getting a free landing - I spend about £1.5m annually at Cranfield airport, and they still charge me £28 to bring my own aircraft in for the day. A student has absolutely no chance of getting fees waived.

No reflection at-all on Grant or his work, but you can't help think that the university with arguably the best aeronautics school in Europe, and one of the best management schools, is ironically completely unable to manage a small airport competently. An extreme example of "those who can do, those who can't, teach" perhaps?

Knowing quite a bit about how you do aviation safety research, I'd say that it really would be inappropriate for Grant (or anybody else) to tell you what he's looking for in advance of helping with his study - since if you go and spend any time thinking about it before turning up, it'll muck his results up. But, do take the word of myself and others above that you'll enjoy it, and it is worthwhile.

G