PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2011, 18:07
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello CJ;
When the air data part of an ADIRU goes 'belly-up' (in this case because of UAS) does that mean that the possibly still valid data such as altitude and vertical speed (static pressure data only) are also thrown out with the bathwater, or are there separate 'flags' (F/Ws) for separate data such as IAS, Mach, TAT, Alt and VS ?
Vertical speed is a baro-inertial computation. The display is normally inertially-based but the VS based upon barometric computations can be displayed in "degraded mode". Altitude is also a baro-inertial computation, the complexities of which, from what I have read, would take the rest of the thread to convey - but I suspect that both VS and Altitude information would be displayed as depicted in the picture of the PFD just posted. The problem I had in thinking it out was, although the static ports are unaffected and so the source data for baro readings would be available, I just don't know whether an ADR would still transmit valid information while not transmitting invalid information, or whether the entire ADR shuts down. I strongly suspect the former.

The diagram below shows all cautions and warning flags which may be displayed on the PFD.