PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2011, 16:37
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris;
But I'm not sure that ADR1 displays both CAS and altitude on PFD1 (the L/H PFD). Now, where was that schematic that someone kindly posted an eon back?
This the one?

The photographs of the PFD without speed and altitude information have caused confusion for some - please accept my apologies.

In the post I did indicate that the altitude information would have remained, that the THR LK wouldn't have been displayed and that the FPV would not have been available, that there would have been a red "FD" flag and it was just the speed information that was missing, (removed if there is there is no data to display). I wanted to convey a sense of the display rather than portray it exactly as it was which of course isn't possible until we have more information.

The image below of the PFD is perhaps a more realistic representation of what the PFD may have looked like at the start of the climb. I caution everyone that this image is a composite, manipulated, Photoshopped picture and is just a guess and NOT related to anything other than my imagination. It is intended only to represent what the PFD may have looked like given what we know from the BEA Update.

Lonewolf_50 - yes, agree...My view has always been that the UAS event was not an emergency but it slowly turned into one the moment the pitch-up began and of course a stall is a full-blown emergency requiring an immediate response.

Notwithstanding notions that the aircraft was pitched down and the "correction" was to pull back on the stick, (doubtful I think), pitching-up and leaving "stable" flight meant that the last known-and-established variables, "pitch-and-power", were themselves intentionally varied, leaving no way back to stable, level flight, not, at least, without immediately setting pitch and power to the QRH settings and waiting (a very long time) for the aircraft to re-stabilize.

Others have said, and I agree, that even at the apogee, a full nose-down-stick-held-to-the-stops-power-off response, perhaps even without rolling the THS forward to something around zero degrees, would likely have led to recovery if not outright avoidance of the stall, (someone else said the aircraft was still at about 215kts and not stalled at the apogee).

Last edited by PJ2; 6th Jul 2011 at 17:21.