PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - University Degrees - Best for aviation? Need? (Merged 2011)
Old 6th Jul 2011, 13:27
MTBUR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's always an awkward question for a hopeful to answer - what will you do if you don't get this job? Time and time again I've heard of people explain how it is their destiny to be a pilot, their dream, their future. I even had one friend who told them he didn't think he could face life if he didn't get his Qantas Cadetship at the age of 18. All of these guys were shown the door, which they thought was sadistic and wrong and they airline's loss. That said, those who entered the interview and said "well I am an MD, and I spent 7 years on that, and now I'm here..." or, alternatively, have a list of 5 degrees changes in 5 semesters can be said to show little staying power.

The aviation degree (i.e. one that goes from ab-initio to ATPL's frozen, plus management subjects) can be said to suit your real die-hard, where you life is the industry but not just as a pilot. If you live and breathe aviation and want a degree as a backup if your dreams come true/medical goes bye-bye/whatever, ask yourself - if it all goes wrong for you, do you want to still be in the job where you work to support the guys in white and black living your dream, or would you rather be far from it all? It's different for everyone, and not an easy one to answer.

Best of luck, and remember, whilst in your head being a pilot might be the be all and end all a) don't tell the recruiter that cause they might want to see a little diversity/someone who won't have their way with their boeing, and b) if it all goes bad open your mind to other things.