PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Floats
Thread: Floats
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2002, 02:06
TightSlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floats

I'm curious how this works with others?

My airline provides a change machine in each crewroom - stick in a £20 note and it pumps out a float. You are supposed to take your float out from the previous flights bar takings as change, thus minimising the draw on the cash machine. This happens to a greater or lesser extent, depending on the crew involved, time of day and how knackered you are at the time. Top up floats are therefore available from the cash machine.

My company has just informed us that the change machines will be removed as a cost saving measure. Cabin crew will have to take their float as change out of the bar takings on their previous flight, and if the change available is insufficient, then we are supposed to visit the bank on our days off and top it up.

This procedure strikes me as inappropriate, but I also wondered if maybe I've been leading a pampered life: Could it be that my airline is simply falling into line with other carriers, in which case I should consider shutting up and putting up. For clarity, I don't think it is reasonable for my employer to force me to drive into town to the bank to get a float before reporting, especially so when on a block of nights.

So how do you get your float together beforehand? (without disclosing security details or carrier names) - and before I go moaning to the union, do you think I should be, or am I luckier than I know?

Please don't be shy about posting an answer - I could use advice, and it strikes me that this sort of issue is almost exactly what PPrune Cabin crew forum could usefully be used for.

Last edited by TightSlot; 11th Oct 2002 at 09:52.