PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2011, 10:52
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I rewind to thread #1? As we approach 900 posts on this thread (4), we are really no further forward, 'experts' having 'dissected' the computer logic, argued with each other over what 'latches', 'defaults', 'degrades' or 'votes' etc etc - and we are all ignoring the basic puzzle.

Why did they climb so steeply? I still remain suspicious of the limited CVR release from BEA. I cannot accept that ANY pilot, out of line training, would sit idly by while the other pitches up to a large angle and the altimeter (and IVSI?) scream skywards. Why is this part missing? Let me make it clear, I do not wish to hear 'the voices', but where is the crew inter-action?

So, either PNF saw this climb or he didn't. If he saw it, what was said? You just do not zoom up that level at that weight in the ITCZ, if anywhere.

Now to the second option, he didn't. Way back on thread #1 I asked whether the ADIRU in this failure situation would degrade to IRU or lose all, and I was assured that attitude and inertial info would 'remain'. Suppose it did not.

What do we have?

We are expected to accept a silence in the cockpit while this manoeuvre takes place (and indeed much of the to and fro on these threads ignores this) following

PNF "so, we’ve lost the speeds" then "alternate law […]" followed by

PF "I don’t have any more indications", and the PNF said "we have
no valid indications".

None of this fits with Mr Occam.

If we are looking at the former option, huge and worrying questions on the philosophy of operation of this aircraft in general and AF training arise.

If the second...........

Instead of all the pilots here proving how clever they are at deciphering the IF....THEN and WHILE....WENDs why do they not address the basic PILOTING illogicality of all this? After the first 2 stall warnings, none further during the climb. PF makes 'nose-down' inputs, the climb continues but levels out. NO sign up to now of any more stall or overspeed, indeed no sign of the extant stall recovery actions of stick back and TOGA - until a new stall warning. So why climb? I just do not understand. Is it to be believed that two adult, trained pilots would react this way?