PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dispatcher training?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2011, 09:54
Echo Disp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I studied the Sheffield Distance + 5 days course several years ago and got the license with Sheffield and I haave several opinions about it.

I believe Sheffield is one of the best schools in Dispatcher training in USA. Many airlines send their employers to Sheffield and it can be a good proof.

boyesbingaman:
There were 2 instructors, Eric and Brett during my stay in FLL. They are both qualified as instructors and examiners. If the course is instructed by one, another will be examiners and vice versa. I am not sure the arrangement for your class but the abive is my case.

for all:
Perosnnaly I am pleased with the quality and in depth knowledge covered in Sheffield's course and I believe the Sheffield's standard is much much higher than what FAA requires.

My suggestion for the FAA ADX test, for anyone who interested in taking the course at Sheffield, try to study and pass the ADX exam in advance. You can get a Gleim or ASA ATP test prep easily from amazon. To be honest, I believe ADX test is just a game of memorising the quetsions and answers , you can remember the answers eaisly if you go through it several times. If you can get a pass before the start of the course at Sheffield, you can fully concentrate in sheffield stuff once u arrive.

There are schools which use ATP test prep as the major text book. I dont think it is a good approach but this is actually exisiting. LIke boyesbingaman mentioned, Sheffield just let you study the Gleim yourself as their major text book is not that. If anyone want to learn more, Sheffiled's approach would be better than just using Gleim as major text. Sheffield concentrate in instructing the in depth theories rather than the gleim.

For those who just want to get a pass and get the FAA license, I agree other schools will be better as the successfull rate (of getting a sign off to take the practical exam) is much higher in other schools than Sheffield. Only 60% in my class and the 6 weeks class got a sign off. I remember something like any FAA dispatcher school should achieve a successful rate of 70 to 80% in practical exam, and that 's why Sheffield rather not signning you off than failing anyone in exam. But for those who want quality instruction and showing to your future employers you are the top notch graduates , sheffield is for you.

To be honest, like what Miarose mentioned, Sheffield may not as good as other schools in offering a student friendly environment especially for those without any previous dispatch, piloting or ATC experiences. The design of the course in Sheffield requires intense concentration and hard work from Day 1. You need to set "full throttle" till the end of the course. And even for experienced guys, it is still a very demanding course for them, and no need to say about the students without any experience.

For those who failed in Sheffield, it doesn';t means they are lazy or incapable. Instead, some may get a pass if they have been given more time but unluckily it is not available. Like one Indian guy who failed the six week course during my stay in FLL, he said he did not have any experience in aviation, travel and spent a lot to USA, stuided very hard but still couldn't pass the course at Sheffield. It is really unlcukily for him but it is how Sheffield is running.

Again, for anyone who want to study at Sheffield, pre course preparation in Gleim and two FAA weather manuals is very important. It makes you easier to cope with the hugh demand in class.

again, for those who just want a licence,as well as reduce the chance of not getting a pass, try to consider whether Sheffield is for you. For those who want to graduate from a well known and quality school as well as showing to your future employers your capabilities, try to consider Sheffield.