PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hevilift PNG terms and conditions
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2011, 08:31
SIMUL8D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proceed with Caution

Just a word of warning...

I know a guy who was recently flown over to PNG from Australia because Hevilift wanted him to fly for them on Twin Otters (Deputy Fleet Manager).

I have a great job already, but they sold me on this job during a three day visit at their expense. I accepted their offer and was told to hand in my notice at my current job. This was an unsolicited job offer, as in Hevilift came to me, and not the other way around. I was informed that a contract would be with me within 2 days of returning to Oz, having been signed off by the Business Manager in PNG, Mark Knight, at the say-so of the new Chief Pilot, Gordon Bretag. Gordon organised the whole thing, and was very genuine - plus, I knew him from a previous job.

When I returned to Australia, no contract was forthcoming. I was then informed that the Chief Pilot and Business Manager in-country do not have the authority to appoint Pilots - that is strictly an HR role, according to Cairns.

Still not quite sure how this could occur.

I was gutted, and it got back to my current employer - even though commercial-in-confidence was assured. It has damaged my standing with my current employer - so be careful.

The Chief Pilot was equally gutted, and keep in mind that Hevilift paid for the 3 day trip to POM and Hagan.

Another issue:
Hearsay 'slandering' was offered up by their Safety Manager. It was incorrect, and it was also extremely damaging to a reputation - which is almost everything in aviation, I would suggest. I provided references that refute the statements, but these referees were never contacted. They were the managers of two previous jobs. I went to Cairns to speak with HR but was fobbed off to the Safety Manager who made the comments in the first place. I was assured that it was a commercial issue, and that Hevilift had 60 other candidates, all with Twin Otter endorsements and better qualified than I was. Your call, but I find it hard to swallow that line of BS.

I am now lead to believe that Hevilift is looking to source a pilot for the same role, but is offering 2/3 of the original sum offered. I have also been informed that Hevilift in Cairns is on the 'list' of those not to supply fuel to, based upon non-payment of bills. I know they won a recent contract and things may be temporarily tight, simply over the short-term; but do your research.

The Upshot? Be careful, don't expect your contact to remain in-confidence, don't expect to have a job until you have a contract in hand and signed. There seems to be a massive disconnect between the new, and well-intentioned hierarchy in PNG (CP and Business Manager) and the Cairns Based Head Office (HR and the Owners).

On the upside, the folks who work in-country are a fantastic group of people; the Base in Hagan is brilliant and you wouldn't want for anything. About the closest that I have ever seen to a really well run Military (RAAF) Detachment.

There are definitely upsides - but proceed with extreme caution whilst they try to figure these things out in their troubled 'business structure'.

Central Aviation pays its drivers around 120k pa, as an indication. The tax works out to about 38% flat rate, and Hevilift pays in Kena, but matched to the Aussie Dollar. If you are accepted you can base yourself anywhere in the world for FIFO, and there are a few different arrangements depending on whether you are a First Officer, Captain or ATR Driver etc. The Hevilift ATR drivers are on about 160k pa. and don't hold your breath for the second ATR to come on line - she's been 'robbed' to get the first one flying and it is unlikely that the second aircraft will ever prove financially viable to get into the air again.

BTW, if you're interested in the Deputy Fleet Manager Role for the Part 125 (Fleet <5700kgs) I understand that HR is now proposing 90k pa, for a 50/50 admin, flying, check and training, procedural development type role. i.e. less than a driver can get in other companies, just flying - but your choice...