PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CO2 hysteria to raise airfare costs to Europe
Old 6th Jul 2011, 06:31
AirResearcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trent, thats brilliant!!

Ive been fascinated at this whole bizarre ETS scheme, and our 'wonderful' APD here in the UK which is also allegedly to help reduce emissions, and of which zero revenue is directed specifically to reducing emissions etc

What I cant understand is how SO many people in the EU think ETS can work when its not a globally agreed and managed system - I can only think there is some kind of collective myopic contagion effect causing this... ( the 'Hedegaard" effect maybe?)

What would be a lot more useful perhaps is unilateral Government support and initiatives to get the cost of producing sustainable/renewable (aviation) fuel down to levels which make it viable. Taxing airlines with ETS/APD etc is actually preventing airlines from having the cash to invest in the technology and testing thats needed.

I know there are some interesting developments happening, such as the new algae based fuel farms in Oz, and the US Govts biomass plans, and LH and KL biofuel flight tests - but its not enough to make a difference yet.

I'd also love to know where the money from carbon offsetting actually goes...no doubt one day we will hear that the cash is being siphoned off in the countires where its allocated for tree planting etc.....