PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mr. Hat moves on.
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2011, 05:38
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow never thought I'd get this many well wishes! I'm very flattered.

The letter was a good one. No emotion, no names, no companies mentioned. Just some facts combined with my work history and how I made it to an Airline after 15 years and 5000 hours of lessons written with my own blood, sweat and tears (literally). I also paid tribute to those collegues of mine who are no longer with us due to accidents in the industry.

The Senator would now have a reasonable appreciation for the level of motivation required to make it to an Airline via the ga route. I also explained that whilst having been trained in an ab-initio Airline scheme of my own funding, I found the experience in ga complimented Airline training rather than detracting from it as popularly touted in the media by some stakeholders. The training gave me discipline, structure and respect. The years in ga gave me stick and rudder, command decision making and a good dose of close shaves with grey hairs and scars to proove it! By the time 180 people were sitting behind me and I was handed the microphone for the first time into Sydney on the 16L ILS all the hard work was done. Fresh out of flight school it would have been a bit of a stuggle for me! Experience made it nearly easy and I enjoyed the process.

For those of you still waiting for that moment, I can confirm it's exactly as you dream it is every night before you go to sleep (keep going).

What I also wrote was nearly a defence of people that I often gave a bit of a roasting on prune. I pointed out that the government policies of the last 15 years were a direct contributor to a reduction in safety. The goverment squeeze and the share holder cries left todays CEOs and managers in an impossible catch 22. I said "if the government doesn't take its foot of the throat of our industry" the perfect record will eventually choke.

I made it clear I was paid pretty well, was very happy with my employer and my motivation was based on safety. I stated that I didn't want to be trying out single pilot in a 180 seat jet whilst at night into a non controlled aerodrome with bad weather. I've done enough time in a multicrew environment to know that the role of the FO is a an important one. And the role of experience played is what has made the difference for myself when things have gone wrong.

I wanted to publish it but decided not to. I got a very positive response from the Senator. It blew me away, I felt it was worthwhile. I was a fan before his spotlight on our industry and I share his views on many other issues. Unfortunately he will never be Prime Minister - he's just too well educated and well spoken. He's very very bright and that doesn't appear to be a "must have" for senior government positions in our country.

Promise to go now. Tailwheel feel free to pull the plug.

All the best.

Last edited by Mr. Hat; 6th Jul 2011 at 07:42.