PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2011, 04:54
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
aircraft are aircraft. even drones are aircraft

TNX for nice words, PJ.

I only jumped in here because I am now a SLF and it's really hard to "ride" when I see things happening and wonder what in the hell the troop up front is doing, or is capable of doing. I just want to feel safe!

If we all wish to have the remote operator back in an air-conditioned room, with all kindsa displays and such, who "steers" the jet, then I will quit riding.

When I look at all the "protections" such as bank angle, AoA limits, auto-throttles that depend upon various flight phases, etc. etc. ad nauseum. I get scared. Don't get me wrong, as I used my autopilot a lot in the lites I flew. I used them to reduce workload, and not to accomplish the mission. But this 'bus implementation seems too much of a pinball machine or video game for 90% of the mission. And the philosophy is reflected in all the "laws" and "alt laws" and sub laws.

The plane we're discussing seems to be a very fine jet, with great aero performance and stability and...... It does not appear to have any terrible or unusual flight characteristics that a basic pilot could not handle. The big "BUT" for me is the plethora of "protections" and laws and sub-laws and on and on that do not seem necessary. I fully understand autopilot functions that ease the workload. So my big "BUT" is the extent to which those AP functions are integrated into the jet's flight control laws. And IMHO, they need not be so closely coupled.

Sorry to rant...