PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2011, 01:38
bearfoil

Hi PJ2

Thanks for such a quick reply. I am happy to see you acknowledge that BITE may have forestalled a cockpit annunciation of the problem. Would this not mean that the PF directly after a/p loss would be flying with the assumption of NORMAL LAW? Otherwise you are condemning this man to a blunder: to wit, not being patient with the a/c post auto? At the least it establishes that there may have been confusion re: LAW.

As I have said, if the PF was performing as you state he should, then some control inputs would be most normal in NORMAL? His acknowledgment of "So, lost speeds", is an admission in fact that ALTERNATE LAW is a new development for the crew, occurring as it did eleven seconds after a/p loss. This is a very long time to be unaware in a task laden cockpit, with MASTER CAUTION, and a STALL STALL in the interim twixt a/p drop and observation of "Lost Speeds", No?

The Note states that the a/c passed through ten degrees NU and increasing "Before it started to climb", why so long if the a/c attitude was stable at 'Level'? Was this a/c starting from a ND? BEA doesn't give a clue.

However, if in any way established nose down, (descent), this would explain the extra time it took for her to reverse her nose transit to "UP".
It also would explain a lagging and exaggerated AoA at the initiation of the zoom. 7000fpm for 35 seconds is 3500 feet (+). Yet we are told that she had PF ND inputs which reduced the Vs to 700 fpm, and continued to 380.

Had she started to climb from 350, she would have flown to 385 and then coasted up to 390. This is not the case, and makes a good argument for her beginning this post a/p climb lower than we think.

I also appreciate your acknowledgement that mechanical issues may have been in play. A Speedbrake deployment is ripe for explaining the onset and chronic display of Right roll. A left Roll correction would drop the Outer (right) aileron, and complete a split surface drag that would be remarkable. If the spoiler was not retracted for any reason, the Starboard wing would continually want to horse the a/c down and right.

Kind regards, and deep respect.