PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 23:06
RR_NDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of important* elements

PJ2,

The reason of my question was because i always considered useful, we could say, important and in extreme cases, crucial to know what triggered a change in normal conditions. In at least two opportunities this was very important to me. In one, i suspected, made a quick test and proceeded immediately (and perfectly) after clearly understanding the "threat" in the very beginning. In another opportunity i had a no consequences, incident. After trying to understand the reasons (equipment failure) unsuccessfully, i tested the equipment to figure out why it led me to the incident. After the test i finally found the problem, a serious one. And saved my life because if i didnīt test i would not understand what was going on and would be more vulnerable or even involved in a very serious accident. So the idea is: ASAP the pilot understand precisely whatīs happening, better. Why? Because his mind would proceed much better (and faster) to correctly "manage" the situation, that departed from normal.

For emphasis, the absolute first thing to do is stabilize the aircraft and keep it there. Stabilizing the airplane may even mean doing nothing except ensuring that the pitch and power stay the same. Then one watches the trend very carefully to see if slight adjustments are required.
Absolutely very similar to what i learned in smaller (piston) planes, 35 years ago. Keep flying. Donīt add other issues to the first problem.

But before continuing to your other 3 paragraphs, Did they realize (first) were starting to face an UAS event? I mean, in the very beginning? It seems to me this is a philosophical point. Option #1 The System acts, the PF "start to fly" the a/c and proceed doing the required. Option#2 The crew receives the UAS warning, the System acts and the PF "start... IMHO for an important parameter (AS) after the simultaneous loss of "redundant" sensors it would be safer and better have this information (technically absolutely feasible) immediately. Or iīm exaggerating?

Just important or critical? If in the design they put 3 may be was considered a critical element.