PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4th June 2010 B737-800 rejected takeoff after V1 Report is out
Old 5th Jul 2011, 21:03
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In closing, I have to say I find this incident very disturbing. I repeat that I have no criticism of the FO who "believed" he was doing the right thing but the system which has allowed this to happen.

In other circumstances this could have been a serious accident with the loss of many lives. The final question I would ask is, in this case who would have been liable? The a/c commander would have, in my opinion, a good case for saying that his authority and responsibility for the flight had been taken away the instant the FO elected to reject the take off.
I'm a supporter of a brief before T/O of the abort call. If agreed the captain may delegate that repsonsibility (seen it done)

So I may have missed something here in all these pages, did the FO undermine the Captains authority or just act out his decision role?

If the later we're spending way too much time second guessing decisions made in seconds, leave that to the chief pilot who has access to all the inputs