PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 20:48
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
caz:
The Investigating BOI stated that the forecast weather weather was "suitable for the flight but would have required flight in accordance with IFR in the vicinity of the Mull of Kintyre".
One of my many unanswered questions that I have put to you is "where was the vicinity of the Mull of Kintyre?" Now in fairness to Walter, who seems to think that I have been entirely unfair to him, he has well illustrated the orographic hill hugging cloud that is so typical of the Mull with the conditions that prevailed on that terrible day, ie with a stiff moist onshore wind. The conditions requiring "flight in accordance with IFR" would have thus required the "vicinity" to extend a mere matter of metres from the Mull. Now Walter's planned flight would have penetrated that vicinity, as would Wratten and Day's planned flight (ie to overfly the Mull) likewise. I presume that is what you contend, that the pilots planned to overfly the Mull. Other than being in total agreement with the then AOC and AOC-in-C, what basis have you for your contention, seeing as you have such disdain for Walter's?
The mere fact that the qualifications and experience of this crew alone suggests that they had no such intentions, ie of a planned approach or of a planned late climb into IMC for overflight, places both of your theories in doubt, rather than their intentions.
Oh, and caz, could you please, please, enter into this dialogue by answering questions put to you, or stay out of it?