PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 20:40
RR_NDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FDR recording (or not) internal System details

PJ2

guess I don't really understand what you have in mind.
With the growing complexity of Systems, intended to a safe, reliable and efficient operation of the airplane and with this inexorable trend to spread even to smaller planes, my feeling is: Despite we can "reconstruct the facts" with not all data (i agree), considering the System is acting progressively like an extra crew, considering it can fail (or induce crew errors) i think more and more insight to itīs working is very probably necessary to fully understand some cases. The reason why i raised the (probable) need for more data is because this could be related to AF447. And relates to redundancy, because amoing other reasons, degraded Systems could present extra issues. (this point relates to the redundancy method used in F-GZCP) QAR, non volatile memories, etc. could be destroyed so is better to preserve something more important info in the SSFDR. Specially if what the pilots "sees" is not all recorded. But as you and ChristiaanJ think the same (or very similar) may be i am exaggerating and concerned too much.

Again as ChristiaanJ has I think correctly observed, even PPRuNe is not really the place for a detailed discussion on FDRs, especially on the AF 447 thread.
I agree. I was preparing something conceptual, not detailed. I will just think about it. Thanks for CAP 731 link.

There is any bias against automation, protections, etc. But i donīt feel comfortable when we learn on "strange behavior" of the Systems that can be related to hidden faults. You know how difficult was for NTSB to understand the Colo. Spgs. 737 crash(a completely different "part" and non redundant). Why not, much more complex Systems could fail (or make difficult to be understood timely by the crew) at critical moments. And like you posted (Possible x Probable) despite being low probability (near zero, i agree) failures they are possible and the only one capable in certain situations, to save the day is a well prepared pilot who normally performs very well at the edge. Even when Systems "try" to fool him.

So, going back to, Why the mysterious climb?

Last edited by Jetdriver; 6th Jul 2011 at 00:55.