PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First solo and messed it up..
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 20:09
whatsthisdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done to 6th Gear

Sticking initially to the subject of the original post, I would also like to say a well done to 6th Gear for his actions in flight. He has my absolute respect for facing his fears and further to that, being brave enough to admit to his temporary problems. I'm quite sure that his Instructor is now even more confident in sending him out again, assured that he won't take any unneccesary risks. I certainly remember the pure fear downwind looking at the empty instructors seat. I now know poor Rodney was probably just as scared!

My second point is on the CPL/ATPL vs PPL debate. As a CPL FI with PPL abilities I feel I'm nicely placed to sit on the fence. In fairness the initial point was only that of the appropriate place to post. Although I would argue a bad one! If you want a proffessionals advice surely this is the best place to start?!

More importantly I would like to say that I think at least 90% of the "pro's" will always welcome questions no matter how silly they might seem. You only need attend one of VeeAny's safety evenings to see that it is actively encouraged across all levels of ability and is beneficial to all. Show me a helicopter pilot that doesn't want to talk about helicopters or his/her incredible ability in them!

I would propose that we have a check list before posting....

1. Has what I have to say any benefit to me, the industry, the addressee or safety?
2. Is it remotely funny?
3. Is the only reason I have time to correct peoples errors because I'm being paid quite alot of money to do as little as possible?
4. Should I perhaps go drive a taxi instead, to give myself a chance to put things back in perspective and realise I'm not that hard done by or irreplacable?

Feel free to add your own.

It is sadly an often unpleasant world on the Pro side of the fence and many of us find it deeply frustrating when we're told it's fantastic by those doing our 'job' for fun. but in my opinion we can start to improve it by behaving in a respectful manner to those around us, the rest of the problems are for many another thread.

Good luck with the next go 6th Gear, I look forward to meeting you one day stepping out of your Jet Banger (Still a great machine). Lets hope you've inspired others to be as brave.