PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - speed control on final
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2002, 21:54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have started to handle B757s slightly differently. Knowing that they will be slowing early and then like a snail across the threshold I usually tuck them up a little on the one ahead and then stick an extra half mile behind. Same landing rate, everybody should be happy. The trouble is that we can't alter our technique to cover all types, there would be too much to remember. Oddly enough we were developing a machine that combined with Mode S would have done that for us... FAST.

We could all use lower speeds. Of course dragging in from12 miles at 150kts would cause increase in noise and fuel burn and some just won't do it, e.g. B773. We could open out the spacing and give each type more leeway but that would significantly impact capacity. (I have recently been involved in the debate over the B757 and what spacing should be given behind it. I have been told NATS argues that increasing the spacing will significantly reduce capacity and is against it. IT ALSO SAYS THAT SAFETY COMES FIRST!?)

I feel that a stable approach has to come first and capacity second. It is not our fault that we lack capacity and it certainly isn't our job to make up for it.

Point 4