PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 19:02
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
THS trim, one mo' time

To Doze, et al.....

I see a sub-mode of all the plethora of laws that implies the jet tries to achieve an alpha, even with stick neutral. This could explain the continued pitch up and THS trim, especially if HAL was reacting to the overspeed warning and the reversion to control law "x".

As with Chris, PJ and other 'bus drivers state, this plane is sound, and robust. There is no reason for ambiguous cockpit indications of the current state or control law, and what I have to rely upon when I move the stick. The plane is well-designed. I realize that with an elevator-stab configuration ( versus an all moving stab) that the THS must be trimmed manually or by HAL. So I am confident that this feature of the FLCS will shall recieve some attention in the final report. Trim nose up due to constant back stick by the PF, trim nose up all by itself to maintain the alpha prot value, trim nose up due to decreasing "q" and requirement to have full elevator authority, and the beat goes on.

So bottomline from this old fossil and system engineer and pilot is we have to deal with too many "sub" modes and their associated "protections". Syseng has pointed out a few human factor aspects that the sfwe engineers must recognize.

I do not absolve the crew, hard is that to do being a pilot. But I agree with syseng that many of the 'bus documents I have been provided courtesy of this forum seem more like marketing brochures than tech orders.

I also do not believe all the pilots need to be engineers or Yeager types. 'nuff said.