PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 16:55
syseng68k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gums, #791

Have been thinking about the application of technology. At opposite ends of the spectrum, we have two motives:

1) To simplify complex processes.

2) As an exercise in intellectual self abuse, to demonstrate how clever it all is.

After being shocked at times by the revelations in this thread during the past couple of years, i'm not really sure where the application of technology is taking us w/regard to aviation. If the primary focus for this is towards improved safety, then they have failed imho. While the technology has resulted in various control laws to improve safety and efficiency, it's application looks like a camel and has done nothing to improve the chances of safe recovery in an emergency, just at the time when it's most needed. Not smart enough by half, in that an appropriate function would, for example, recognise things like pf commanding a zoom climb or other sequence of events outside the expected operating conditions at a given stage of flight and at least provoke the suggestion that it is perhaps not a good idea. "I'm sorry, but I can't do that Dave", springs to mind. Perhaps amusing, but the sort of thing that could contibute to safe operation. I'm not arguing for more or less automation, but more intelligence in terms of trend analysis, resolution of ambiguous situations and timely warnings where operation is tending towards potentially dangerous situations.

Found the 4 part a330 fcom on the web a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't help thinking how much it reminded me of consumer electronics user guide, rather than a proper technical manual. A full TM would describe (eg) how all the various information sources logically combine, their values and conditions, to initiate the transitions between the various control laws, in tabular or flowchart form. While you do get some of this in the user guide, it's spread bits and pieces style all over the place, making it more difficult to visualise the big picture. Quite a disappointment really and if I were a pilot flying one of these boxes, it's something I would need to understand, for all kinds of reasons.

To paraphrase your sentiment, if the crew ever find themselves in a situation where the state of the a/c is not resolvable within a few seconds, in a completely unambiguous way, then the design is at fault and technology has not been applied correctly. There's really no excuse for this at all, however it's spun.

Away doing some real work for a couple of weeks and looking afresh, find myself in quite critical mood. Correct me if i'm wrong here...