PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 14:58
Lonewolf_50

Received 395 Likes on 245 Posts
Catching up has been most informative. A couple of issues that caught my eye.
The question jcjeant should really be asking is why was the PF trying to use aileron to counter wing drop.
If you refer to a post stall roll problem, PF probably didn't know he was stalled. Others have answered in more depth with notations on the BEA report timelines. Had he known he was stalled, I suspect he'd have dropped the nose.
At the point in question, AF447 was already in a super-stall, although we have to assume that the PF had not diagnosed it.
Not early in the event. That "super-stall" was after the climb's apogee. The roll inputs appear to have been a running battle from early in the alt law event.
If we knew the reason for the nose up pitch inputs, we would be well on the way to understanding the accident. IMHO, inadvertent pitch input while controlling the roll axis seems to be the most likely cause. Alt 2 is a funny law. You have to stay off the pitch axis, but fly the roll axis. That does not seem trivial to me.
How often does one practice this flight control problem? If you don't train for the difficult flying tasks, you'll tend to perform them poorly.

When I was a flight student, I didn't much care for simulators, and made such complaint one day to my instructor. He gave me a "come to Jesus" lecture (brief, but powerful) about how important rehersal is for performance. He used the football game prep as an analogy:

"You practice the way you intend to play. Any play you don't practice will tend not to work on the field at game time. Any chance you get to rehearse, or to practice, you take, and you make the most of it." (Add a few more words meant to get my attitude properly adjusted. )

Years later, I heard a similar cliche from a different source: "train the way you intend to fight, and you'll fight better." It was in reference to the Fort Irwin National Training Center. (Armored warfare training with serious intensity/complexity).

3. This post is a nice one by PJ about how one trains one's crews.
http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/45465...ml#post6551107

It's an AF matter, but a matter that influences how well their pax are taken care of.