PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jepp View and a Tablet Computer
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 13:13
Shagpile

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
it can really struggle to get a fix.
OK this is what I've been able to find out about the iPad (3G) GPS from reading and testing:

- It does use 3G to download the almanac to get an instant fix.
- It does work outside of 3G coverage and can download the almanac like a regular GPS. I've tested this 600nm offshore and it takes about 1-2 minutes to get a fix (quicker through non-heated glass).

The iPad GPS will never be used as an IFR gps - so it's not even worth thinking about. The certification requirements are enormous and if CASA copies the FAA AC 91-78 & AC 120-76A, then showing own-ship position on a map puts the software into Type C category, which requires more certification:

c. Own-Ship Position. This AC, by itself, may not be used to install own-ship position on moving
maps on Class 1 and 2 EFB systems. However, as new guidance is developed, it may be used in
combination with this AC to add additional applications
This will obviously be translated into some form of "The pilot has comitted an offence if..." language (sigh).

That being said, I personally find it useful to be able to show your position on a map in the middle of the ocean, plot a course direct-home and see which waypoints it intersects to put into a flight plan. I fly maritime, but I'm sure other people can find equally useful uses for gps location that doesn't involve primary navigation.

The bug in ozrunways is the refreshing the screen will some times be needed to relocate your blue aircraft position symbol, but there is a locate button so that works fine.
Yep this has been fixed in a small update out in a week or two.

I like the vertical profile view feature that Jeppview/ Flitedeck has
I'm not familiar with Jeppview but a future version of ozrunways efb will have a horizontal display of airspace & terrain along-track. Will also be able to change colour/size of icons etc. in the next small update.