PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing Defence Assets (merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 09:58
Jabba_TG12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No surprise whatsoever. DSDA's a complete and utter mess and the former LAIPT one of the most useless bodies it has ever been my dim and distant displeasure to have had any connection with.

You have a whole pile of legacy applications left over from the single service days, of which DSDA knows nowhere near enough to be able to administer, maintain, look after... so, they try and offload the whole lot onto Boeing for 800 million under the guise of FLIS, not to mention the creeping advance of DII, who cant or wont host half of these apps; there are legacy apps which are unsupportable or end of life that they wont replace and wont make a decision on funding, continuing to kick them into the long grass to be replaced eventually by FLIS... and decisions continue to be fudged, avoided, heads kept low, for just that little bit longer until their pensions can be drawn.

And thats without getting into the very cosy relationships between the Tier One outsourcing organisations and the IPT's in this case running counter to the interests of the services and the user community. The behaviour of one particular supplier, I found absolutely reprehensible.

This report, I'm afraid, is no surprise whatsoever. And chances are, it'll get significantly worse before it gets any better. Sooner or later something big will happen where the system will prove that despite the best efforts of those on the shop floor and the sharp end (who do their best to cope despite this millstone around their necks), that it is truly unfit for purpose.

I just hope it doesnt cost anyone their lives.