PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good for you C.A.S.A
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 08:11
Major Cleve Saville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIUYA

Read my post at no time does it say ICAO will or will not approve. My post says
file your differences for approval
okay to make it clearer to you -approval or acceptance or honoring by other member states.

Definition of Approval: formal agreement; sanction

You file your differences (or notify) with ICAO who then promulgate that information to other member states. 'After considering a nation’s difference, ICAO member states decide whether to honor a difference on the part of an international operator who enters and operates within their airspace.'

This is particularly true of Safety Management Systems at the moment.

Article 12
Rules of the air
Each contracting State undertakes to adopt measures to insure that every aircraft flying over or maneuvering within its territory and that every aircraft carrying its nationality mark, wherever such aircraft may be, shall comply with the rules andregulations relating to the flight and maneuver of aircraft therein force. Each contracting State undertakes to keep its own
regulations in these respects uniform, to the greatest possible extent, with those established from time to time under this Convention. Over the high seas, the rules in force shall be those established under this Convention
. Each contracting State undertakes to insure the prosecution of all persons violating the regulations applicable.

Furthermore the ICAO convention and SARPS reflect the cultures and outlook of what were previously considered the developed nations, principally Europe and North America who were and are the biggest players in aircraft manufacture and operation.

These are now generally refered to as Western in outlook. I would suggest to you that a set of ICAO rules reflecting a more Eastern outlook or a Latin American one (especially in 1944) might be considerably different. The point I am making is that the operating philosophies especially of the large aircraft maufactures (I only know of 2) reflect the Western culture of individualism and individual responsibilty rather than other cultures respect for rank age or birthright, or authoritarianism.

The operation of aircraft requires amongst other things individual responsibility, the ability to deal with chaos when it arises, and the requirement to accept 'loss of face', by concentrating on what is right and not who is right.

What really concerns me here is the obvious joy of some Australian pilots seeing an Australian based and licenced airline grounded. This is the sort of thing that happens in e.g. Indonesia.

Surely taking an airline out of the market must be detrimental to terms and conditions in Australi?a Haven't the low cost carriers actually offered huge opportunities and improved remuneration for a lot of pilots in Australia?

Think how this looks to the rest of the world, put the words unsafe, airline, Australia into a sentence and make it reflect well on Australia to the rest of the world.

The Tiger operation in Singapore seems to operate safely and it would be unfair to see the crews in Singapore pay the price .... for an Australian c@ckup.