PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 02:02
Jed A1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember Freemans of Bewdley well and can still remember their phone number - Stourport 2222! What a thoroughly nice group of people who obviously had a great passion for what they were doing. I chartered their B47's several times in preference to machines based nearer to my location.

Seeing some of the recent pictures has prompted me to delve into the depths of my memory regarding some of my local operators in the N. W. of England.

I will try this chronologically:

First at Liverpool was Pool Helicopters. They only lasted a couple of months at Liverpool in 1981 using three Enstroms for training. G-BAWI, G-BBBZ, G-BHTF, all I believe leased from Spooner Aviation. I'm sure Dennis would know more.

As an aside, Dennis, I ended up buying Enstrom 280C G-SHNN from Surrey in 2002 and shipping it to the Caribbean as 9Y-HHA. We used it well, putting the best part of 1,000 hours on the machine in one year.

Back to the NW.

Second came Heli-Care at Liverpool in 1982, using three ex Bristow (/Bristish Army) B47G's, G-AXKL, G-AXKR, G-AXLA. These were mainly used for agricultural work. These were eventually replaced by Jetrangers G-BCWM and G-BEPP in '83 & '84. Other JR's were hired from time to time including G-AWLL, G-BAKF, G-BAKS, G-BKDA and my bosses own machine G-TKHM. I'm sure Paco would remember this outfit run by John Ridings (where are you?).

Kilroe Helicopter's used AB206B sn 8557 G-TKHM at Manchester from 81-84. The machine subsequently went to red Rose Helicopters before ending up in Switzerland.

Heli-Care's connection with Dollar matured when Dollar took over their business in 1986 changing the name to Dollar North West. AS350 G-BFNC was virtually permanently based at Liverpool, augmented by a rotation of Dollar's Coventry fleet. This operation I believe was run by Ian Durston.

Around the same time Airward Helicopters (or Wardell Group) were using ex PLM B206LI G-CINE from their Warrington haulage yard (ex Stretton Airfield) for general charter work. They also had an Enstrom but I forget which one.

Manchester Helicopter Charter Co. started with H269B G-AVZC in '87 to be supplemented with B206B G-MHCC in '89. When G-MHCC went for a swim in the Irish Sea it was replaced with ex Laura / Bernard Ashley' B47G, G-BPAI mainly doing pleasure flying.

Pennine Helicopters then effectively took over the pleasure flying market and still operate today with B206L1 G-LEEZ.