PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 00:43
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Svarin
I agree that it can be done. But is it desirable, from a human perspective ? After flying, what else would you latch automation upon ? How many human endeavours will end up robotized ? What do we do while the machines do all the work and the rest ? Watch TV ?
Write books? Make music? Paint pictures? Solve complex mathematical/physics theorems? Design and build spacecraft to explore beyond our little world?

I jest, but the whole point of human endeavour is that it is supposed to progress. Being knee-jerk against something just because it might in several generations make one's job obsolete is a pretty dismal place to be. Do you think the night-soilmen of centuries past wanted their great-great-grandkids to be doing the same thing?

Possibly, although you know I disagree. At the very least, I am greatly interested in the time it takes for the system to sift through the Byzantine generals lies, or power struggle, as I see it in the "PRIM2 reverted to Normal Law" theory.
I think you underestimate how strict the development and deployment process of real-time safety-critical systems is. I'm not saying it's perfect by any stretch of the imagination*, but I think you do the people on the engineering side of the fence a great disservice by saying that it would be easy to introduce such a failure.

* - Just in case I haven't made it clear enough in the past...