PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2011, 00:12
Svarin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DozyW wrote :

wild theories about the computers going haywire due to a lightning strike, long-hidden software bugs coming out of hiding to neuter the unsuspecting pilots' authority
You need to realize that each successive software version, for the FCPCs, for example, would have a lifespan of around a year. Version 19 was out last time I checked. What is the age of this type ? So, a software "bug" (a very small oversight as I see it in detail) could have been introduced, less than a year before. This could perhaps help you realize it is much more likely than one would like to see. Especially as this gets mixed with a similar potential problem regarding ADRs from a different manufacturer ! But these things communicate together. All in all, quite a feat. There are bound to be some minor stuff from time to time, dont you think ?

By the way, if someone could please enlighten yours truly regarding the certification process applied to flight controls computers software versions released after the initial certification process, I would be extremely grateful.

I'm pretty sure that the "WRG" message, as I said before, was simply the FCUs playing catch-up with the already-triggered pitot data failure message, which would have led to the "ADR DISAGREE" message appearing on the flight deck. We're talking seconds and fractions of seconds here - in human terms, the computation delay was minimal.
The WRG message CMC time-stamp is 02:10.
The ADR DISAGREE message CMC time-stamp is 02:12.
Two minutes.
If you can provide a consistent theory to explain this gap, I for one will be happy to read it.

I do have a theory myself, of course. I explained it in multiple ways already. It is solidly based upon facts : ACARS messages content and timing, AMM, FCOM, BEA reports, schematics, design principles, multiple accident reports. When your theory relies on similarly solid background, we will have the opportunity for a fascinating discussion