PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4th June 2010 B737-800 rejected takeoff after V1 Report is out
Old 5th Jul 2011, 00:08
BandAide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's OK if you all die but were adhering to procedure. No one can criticize you.

If you reject after V1 and survive, especially with aircraft damage, you're going to get put through the ringer. But you're alive, eh?

We brief fire, failure, fear, shear.

V1 is my guideline and I adhere, but on many occasions V1 occurs with room to stop and then some. I think about that, too.

I also strongly believe the V1 and climbout charts were based on data from new airplanes and engines flown by test pilots, and I know from experience, catastrophic engine failure at 600' after takeoff and not being able to maintain V2 in level flight, much less climb out, that older airplanes and engines will not give you charted performance, but something less. Odds are most takeoffs hit the real V1 hundreds of feet before the charts (therefore the boxes) said they did.

The best thing you can do is keep your mind spinning when the unexpected happens, go with your instinct, and fly the bastard. We can talk about the rest on the ground. When I was faced with the once in a lifetime, I kept thinking to myself, "I'm NOT going out this way!"