PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4th June 2010 B737-800 rejected takeoff after V1 Report is out
Old 4th Jul 2011, 22:17
goldfish85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We need to keep what V1 really means. It is solely based on a single engine failure. If I might quote from FAR 1

V1means the maximum speed in the takeoff at which the pilot must take the first action (e.g., apply brakes, reduce thrust, deploy speed brakes) to stop the airplane within the accelerate-stop distance. V1 also means the minimum speed in the takeoff, following a failure of the critical engine at VEF , at which the pilot can continue the takeoff and achieve the required height above the takeoff surface within the takeoff distance.

If you look at the number of RTO's, most engine failures occur relatively early in the TO roll. Late in the TO role, other problems seem to arise -- wheels, brakes, tires, and flight control problems. I'd say that V1 is only guidance for non-engine failure cases.

Several years ago, there was an RTO caused by all of the glass going dark. As it happened, it was night and the pilot rejected the takeoff. My boss at the FAA said "Never ever reject above V1." I suggested that it depends. On a clear day at KPHX, I'd go every time. On the proverbial dark and stormy night at KSEA, I'd probably take my chances and stop.

Aside from engine failures, V1 does not apply.

PS, in these late aborts, I think only the PF can make the decision.

I know I'm going to get it now.