PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2011, 21:46
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Re HazelNuts39

Quotes all HazelNuts39
The AoA in level flight at FL350/M.81/275kCAS is 2.55 degrees.
The speed was .8M for turbulence, as the crew stated. Or do you say, they where still in decelerating mode? The AOA value was reached by the sudden pitchup to 10° pitch, which needs an acceleration and changes the stall AOA significantly. I cant tell you the numbers for the bus, but an AOA gauge in front of my nose taught me that over a considerable flying time.

4 degrees is the stall warning threshold at M.81 and would produce about 1.42 g normal acceleration. I don’t think “gee” exceeded approx. 1.4 because it then becomes rather difficult to match several constraints imposed by the FDR data released in the BEA Update.
Which one, please elaborate.

At 10 degrees AoA, M.81 the airplane would be fully stalled, but that didn’t occur here but much later. According to the BEA, “pitch attitude increased progressively beyond 10 degrees” between 2:10:05 and 2:10:50. Therefore I think that the ‘mean’ AoA got close to but did not exceed the S/W threshold at this stage, i.e. the triggering of S/W “twice in a row” was probably due to ‘light chop’ causing some AoA fluctuations between 2:10:15 and 2:10:25.
On what fact do you ground your statement?
The speed sure as hell was already decreasing after the initial exaggerated pullup, so it was not .80 Mach any more after the start of the pitchup. At 02:10:20 FL 375 was reached graph from A33Zab, at 02:10:55 TOGA was selected and at 02:11:00 FL380 (apogee) was reached. That is a 500´feet altitude gain in 40 seconds. Its prudent to assume, that the initial climb rate was higher, decreasing to zil, and increasing again after TOGA selection (02:10:55 TOGA, 02:11:07 the speed was 185 valid and pitch and AOA 16°. So most of the beyond 10° pitch in that timeframe produced only AOA and not much climb at all.(Aircraft level flight at 10° pitch resembles 10° AOA. And yes, it was stalled, therefore the stallwarning was present and then TOGA selected.

It does not make sense to compute the angle of attack under steady and unchanged lab conditions. The ship was handflown with changing speed and pitch and later on power in unfavourable WX conditions with limited or no protections in an altitude they couldn´t reach just one minute before. Any change of pitch first adds to the AOA. and only leads to change of climb rate (and therefore flight path vector, which influences AOA) with a delay, if the lifties say "Yes" to the pitch change.

Last edited by Jetdriver; 4th Jul 2011 at 23:05.