PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2011, 20:49
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
One mo'time

Salute!

First, I'd like to address the concern/question by Doze.

You do not need "q" or total pressure to trim the jet for a gee ( Nz). And it is disturbing to find from A33Z that the FLCS uses the same attitude reference system that is displayed to the crew. Hence, I continue to question some basic design implementations for the 'bus. It is too easy for the FLCS to have internal accelerometers and rate sensors and even air data sensors besides those the displayed to the crew. A layer of redundancy and a "core" system we humans can rely upon. If those embedded sensors go to "east jesus", then we're flat-a$$ outta luck. Sierra happens.

There are too many autopilot and "convenience" features that degrade one by one until in the "direct law". TOGA for engines and FLCS, "flare", Alt 1, Alt 2, sheeesh!

Once there's a problem, the basic flight control laws should be very clear from an aero aspect and a crew aspect. We don't need bank angle "protection"/overspeed "protection" and such in various modes. What we need is a well-designed plane that has basic control laws that 99.9% of the pilots can fly using basic airmanship. And not be concerned with losing one thing or the other along the way.

The 'bus looks to be a very well designed jet, or you couldn't have a "deep" stall, or a deep stall, for over 3 minutes without going into a spin or worse.

So I will continue to advocate a very straightforward system that has a myriad of autopilot functions as "inputs", not "protections". Once the A/P disconnects, the jet reacts to pilot inputs in a very straightforward manner. I fully understand control surface deflection rates, aero gains, etc. I fully understand why the THS trims to retain elevator effeciveness ( will be a contributing factor in final report, IMHO). I would not want to fly a jet that moves the elevator or commands spoilers and ailerons at the maximum possible rates regardless of the "q" or mach. But when those values are unreliable, the jet must still be flyable and not have all the "protectons" commanding stuff that we pilots don't want or need at that moment. Just let us fly the basic plane!!!

sorry for the rant. ....

Last edited by gums; 4th Jul 2011 at 20:54. Reason: added stuff