PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Completion of std flight segments in oei scenario
Old 4th Jul 2011, 14:00
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ops Room Junkie:

If you don't at least complete the flight path profile to 15 hundred feet the aircraft may not perform as you want it to, even if you are returning to land. Beyond that general statement, there are simply too many variables as to what should be done at Airport A with Aircraft B.

On another note, does anyone know regulation concerning a max 200KIAS for following a procedure turn?> I can find many references to but no regulation. I can see the reason / rationale as adding a speed restriction to such helps to ensure you stay within the area considered for terrain clearance, but is there any regulation and if so does it apply to procedure turn only in the context of Instrument Approach / MAP?

Where would you do a procedure turn in a MAP?

As to approaches in areas under FAA jursidication, and I quote:

FAA Aeronautical Information Manual:

5-4-9-3. When the approach procedure involves a procedure turn, a maximum speed of not greater than 200 knots (IAS) should be observed from first overheading the course reversal IAF through the procedure turn maneuver to ensure containment within the obstruction clearance area. Pilots should begin the outbound turn immediately after passing the procedure turn fix. The procedure turn maneuver must be executed within the distance specified in the profile view. The normal procedure turn distance is 10 miles. This may be reduced to a minimum of 5 miles where only Category A or helicopter aircraft are to be operated or increased to as much as 15 miles to accommodate high performance aircraft.